Friday, November 27, 2009

'Six years,' she said

Tonight on the ride home from Thanksgiving, all girlies were asleep except Melía. (This is as traditional as today's turkey.)

Winding up the mountain, we were talking about how different kids spend different amounts of time in Kindergarten, depending on how ready their parents and teachers think kids are for 1st grade. "Some kids do one year of Kindergarten and some do two, Melía. How many years do you want to be in Kindergarten?" I said.

Part of me wants to normalize redoing Kinder if necessary. The twins are on the young side, after all. Another part of me says this to lay down the gauntlet and see them go for their studies as ardently as they go for playing dress-up.

"But bwown-ups choose that."

"That's right," I told her. "Good remembering. " I had made a point of saying that this decision is not up to the 5-year-old. "But if it were your choice, how many years would you want to be in Kindergarten?"

"Do you know how many years I would want to be in Kindergarten?" she asked, making sure I still understood the question.

"How many, Melía?" I asked. I'd have put my money on "one." What kid isn't eager to be as grown up as possible as early as possible?

"Six years!" she said, exuberant. ("Tens of thousands of dollars' worth!" my Daddy-ears heard, despondent.)

But sticker shock aside, here's giving thanks for one great Kindergarten and for at least one girl who's not in a frantic hurry to grow up.

At least not today.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

It is beautiful to see a young girl fully appreciating her childhood. I never really understood why kids want to grow up so fast. It's sad.

I sincerely hope that she gets at least six more years of childhood wonder. It may not be in kindergarten the whole time, but still...

toni said...

aww. that's a wonderful story.
t.

Ginger said...

Merry Christmas, Bennies! We are visiting here in S. California and had a great time last night watching the RAA Christmas music program (Camel Lot) in which our grandson Greyson was performing. Did I see one of your girls help pull his tie off during the program, or was that someone else? Anyhow, we were all in stitches and hitting the 'Replay' button. I sure wish we were closer to get to those events...